The Admiral Collingwood is an old country-style Heritage-Listed 1888 millionaire’s mansion. It is run as a family-style hotel.
We are most highly rated for comfort, cleanliness and location, by all the major web-sites reviewing hotels and lodges in Sydney. EG., we are rated “Wonderful 9.2”, by Booking.com, Agoda.com rates us “Best Discount Hotel in Sydney – Fantastic”. TripAdvisor.com has three times, in the last three years, rated us “97% Best Value” and awarded us its “Certificate of Excellence”.
HotelsCombined.com rates us in the “Top 3% of Hotels in the World” after an extensive world-wide study of 800,000 hotels.
Trivago have rated us in the Top 5 hotels in all Sydney.
The Admiral Collingwood is in a quiet back street in the charming, up-market and safe harbourside suburb of Drummoyne. It has delightful gardens, full of kitchen herbs, views of the Sydney Central Business District (CBD) and glimpses of Sydney Harbour. It is also within short and easy travelling distance to the CBD, by bus or ferry and close to the Birkenhead Outlet Shopping Mall.
We have free and unlimited on-street parking, a large well-equipped communal kitchen, free WiFi in every room and a genuinely friendly welcome. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness.
Admiral Lord Collingwood was one of Britain’s greatest wartime commanders.
Early in his naval career, he even fought as a young naval officer on land in the American Revolution. This was in the British Naval Brigade at the 1775 Pyrrhic victory over the American revolutionary forces at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Cuthbert Collingwood (“Old Cuddy”) was known in the navy as “Nelson’s Own Hero”.
Collingwood in 1805 tricked Napoleon’s fleet into remaining in Cadiz, until Admiral Lord Nelson could bring the whole British fleet up. It was also Collingwood, leading the first column of British ships, who was first into battle at Trafalgar against the superior combined French & Spanish fleets. By the time Nelson’s Victory, leading the second column, joined the fray, Collingwood had already broken the Napoleonic fleet’s order of battle and captured the Spanish Admiral’s ship, the Santa Ana. After Lord Nelson’s death during that battle, Collingwood commanded the victorious British fleet and sent the sad news of Nelson’s death, but British victory, back to London.
This erudite, understated, and witty man now lies buried next to his close friend, Nelson, in St Paul’s Cathedral.
The peace, security and stability, Pax Britannica, conferred by the “Trafalgar Century”, following the battle is widely credited as having major impact on the peaceful and profitable growth to nationhood of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. Hence so many streets, suburbs and even a Melbourne football club are named after Collingwood, although the man is now mostly forgotten.
We have sought to offer guests an accommodation experience worthy of Admiral Collingwood. Our large rooms are all fully furnished, have hot and cold water, coffee and tea making facilities, a desk, High Defininition TVs, dressing gowns and storage for clothes. The furniture is new and fresh clean sheets and towels are provided. There is a kitchen and dining room, an outside sunny well-tended garden, patio and barbeque. Industrial quality coin-operated washing and drying machines and iron and ironing board and hair-dryer are all available for guests. Four new bathrooms, two on each floor, and two additional toilets provide comfortable facilities for guests. Free WiFi is available in all rooms.
The Lodge is not suitable for children under 10 years of age, except by special arrangement. We regret in the absence of such arrangements, we may have to refuse accommodation.
Drummoyne Bay was once known as Warrembah, meaning “where sweet waters meet”, by the Indigenous Wangal clan people of the Eora linguistic group who occupied Sydney.
Later it was a part of the Five Dock Farm, granted to the Colony’s first Surgeon and Police Officer, John Harris, by Governor Philip Gidley King, in 1806.
Harris became a very wealthy landowner, buying Australia’s first successful farm from James Ruse and building the still extant Experiment Farm Cottage. On Australia Day 26 January, 1808, Harris joined the Rum Rebellion plotters in the Colony’s military coup détat, against the notorious Captain Bligh. The authoritarian Bligh had been appointed Governor of New South Wales after suffering the mutiny on the HMS Bounty. However few months later, Harris fell out with the chief plotter Captain John MacArthur and was dismissed by the Acting Governor as a magistrate.
Harris later became a founding Director of the Colony’s first bank, the Bank of New South Wales in 1817, took part in important explorations of the Colony inland of the Blue Mountains and died in 1838 with property said to be worth £150,000.
Later the farm was subdivided and in 1853, William Wright, a merchant, sealer and whaler, purchased all of north eastern Drummoyne from Lyon’s Road and Victoria Road to the Harbour. He named it “Drummoyne Park”, after his family’s home on the Clyde, near Glasgow in Scotland.
In turn, in the 1840’s, it was subdivided into building lots and sold to the public. The land was advertised as having as one of its attractive features, being “within 40 minutes row of Sydney.” Of course, in those days there would have been professional watermen to row the wealthy bourgeoisie to Drummoyne.
Soon after the first Iron Cove Bridge was opened in 1884, the land was bought for development by Duncan McMaster, Esquire. The Admiral Collingwood building itself, was given the name ‘Baroda’, after one of the largest and wealthiest princely states existing alongside British India – one of only five entitled to a 21-gun salute. The building was one of three adjoining Italianate mansions, constructed in the period from 1886-1889, McMaster was described as living in Darling Point, but in his obituary was described as a “Pastoralist and Sportsman”. Coming from a wealthy grazier family from Coolah between Tamworth and Dubbo, he was also a prominent Polo player.
It seems to have had extensive renovations in about 1910 when the ‘arts & crafts’ style fireplaces, still extant, were installed on the second floor of the main building. Later further additions were made probably in the 1920s, when it seems to have been divided into a duplex with a separate outside staircase. Even later it was used as a boarding house and back-packer hostel, before the present owners took it over.
Happily most of the original features of this millionaire’s house have been retained – the high ceilings; the 35 cm skirting boards, the kauri timber floors, the marble fireplaces downstairs, the arts and crafts fire-places in the upstairs bedrooms and the huge original back door. All are heritage-listed.
The Stables at the rear, now the Garden Suite, were probably built much earlier in 1840 or so and were probably the stables for William Wright’s magnificent house, which is on Wrights Road immediately to the rear of the Admiral Collingwood. In the course of repairs of white ant damage to the Stables, a huge rusted Clydesdale horseshoe was found. Such a horseshoe is a talisman of good luck for all who stay at the Admiral Collingwood.